These Air Fryer Turkey Steaks can be cooked in the air fryer in less than 12 minutes to make a perfectly tender and moist turkey breast.
The air fryer is a great way to make almost anything, especially meat. Without the air fryer, it can be a long wait to get dinner on the table. And if the meat isn’t up to temperature in the time the recipe says, it can be frustrating to wait the extra time to let it heat.
In the air fryer you can get juicy, tender pieces of turkey steak in around 12 minutes. They come out ready to eat, and with the consistency of the air fryer you’ll never have to worry about having a dry turkey steak ever again. This recipe for air fryer turkey breast come out perfectly if you want a bit more turkey for a small gathering.
These are the perfect main dish to pair with an easy side vegetable and dinner is done in no time flat. Not to mention that there’s very little clean up needed afterwards, making it a good dinner for any night where you don’t feel like putting effort into cooking.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- 4 turkey breasts– we used 1/2 inch thick steaks, you can use thicker or thinner steaks but make sure to adjust your cooking time accordingly.
- Salt and pepper– season to your liking, you can add more seasonings but we kept it simple for this recipe.
- Cooking oil spray– use a neutral oil- like vegetable or avocado oil- so that the oil doesn’t change the flavor of the meat. You could also brush on oil if you don’t have a cooking spray.
- Air fryer: I use this 4-quart basket-style air fryer. It’s large enough to fit a meal for 4-6. But some things need more space in the air fryer basket, so they cook evenly.
- Kitchen tongs: It’s very easy to remove food from your air fryer with kitchen tongs. I use these kitchen tongs that are silicon coated so they don’t scratch the interior.
- Meat thermometer: The only way to tell if meat is fully cooked to the right temperature is to use a meat thermometer. I use this Instant Read thermometer. It’s so quick to open the basket and check the temp.
How to Make Air Fryer Turkey Steaks
First, prep the meat by seasoning the turkey steaks with salt and pepper. You can also use different seasonings to your preference. Then, place the steaks into the air fryer basket. Make sure that they are overlapping as little as possible so the air can circulate through the basket best. If you need to, split the meat into two batches and cook them that way to avoid overlapping.
Spray the turkey steaks with cooking oil- any cooking spray will work, but we generally use avocado oil in our air fryer. And although it’s not as easy as a spray, you could alternatively brush the meat with olive oil instead of using a cooking spray if you don’t have any spray.
Cook at 390° F for for 8-11 minutes, flipping them over when they’re halfway done cooking. Cook time will vary depending on the thickness of the turkey, so make sure to check the temperature of the meat to see if it’s cooked through. The internal temperature should reach 165° at its thickest point when it’s finished cooking.
What Oil & Oil Sprayer is Best for the Air Fryer?
The biggest issue most air fryer lovers face is finding the right oil and oil sprayer to use on food cooked in the air fryer. A fine mist of oil will help the entire piece of food crisp evenly, so it’s very important.
My personal preference is to use canola oil, extra virgin olive oil, or avocado oil. I use both a refillable spray bottle like the Evo one pictured below and non-propellant extra virgin olive oil, which has no harmful aerosols or chemicals.
How to Serve Air Fryer Turkey Steaks
The great thing about these is that they are very versatile. You can use any number of different seasoning combinations to make these fit into a lot of meals. We used just salt and pepper, but you could use different herbs and spices depending on what flavor you want and what you’re going to pair the turkey steaks with.
For a fresher take, combine the turkey steaks with something light like a vegetable or salad. You could try these air fryer green beans or brussels sprouts which would be perfect to put some greens on your plate to fill out your meal. This is also an extremely easy dinner that could be done within half an hour, which is great for a busy day when you need a fast meal.
These are also great for a one-person holiday meal. If you need something easy to make yourself that still feels like a holiday dinner, this is a good choice. Cook with an herb rub with garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary and thyme for a classic holiday flavor. Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy, or dinner rolls on the side for a festive meal.
Notes & Suggestions
Try not to overlap the steaks in the air fryer, as this will make it harder for the air to circulate within the basket. This could make the steaks come out soggy. If your steaks don’t fit well in the basket, make them in multiple batches.
The cook time will vary depending on the thickness of the steaks. This recipe is based on 1/2 inch thick steaks. Be sure to check the internal temperature to make sure they are cooked to 165 degrees F before eating these.
Why Use an Air Fryer
An air fryer is an incredibly easy way to cook just about anything. You place the food in a fryer-style basket and hot air rapidly circulates all around the food, making the food crisp – much like deep-frying, but without the oil. You can cook anything you’d make in the oven.
- I use a Ninja MaxXL air fryer (pictured left). If you don’t have an air fryer yet, check out these options to find one that fits your needs.
- See reviews and prices for air fryers on Amazon.
- Here’s a printable Air Fryer Cooking Times Cheat Sheet to get you started.
- Click to find more recipes to make in your Air Fryer.
- Learn how to make fun things in the air fryer, like potato wedges, pork belly bites, and chicken wings.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Air Fryer Turkey Steaks
- 4 turkey breast steaks (slices around ½” thick)
- salt and pepper to season
- cooking oil spray
- Season the turkey steaks with salt and pepper. Place them into the air fryer basket without overlapping as much as possible.
- Spray the turkey steaks with cooking oil (or brush with olive oil).
- Cook on 390° F for for 8-11 minutes, flipping over halfway through. Cook time will vary depending on the thickness of the turkey. The internal temperature should reach 165° at its thickest point.
All air fryers have different wattage and may cook at different rates. You may need to adjust the time or temp for the best results.