This Easy Air Fryer Teriyaki Salmon can be made in just 8 minutes in the air fryer for a healthy and delicious meal that has just 2-3 ingredients.
If you’re looking for healthy meals to make in the air fryer, salmon is a great choice. Fresh or frozen salmon both cook up quickly. You can cook air fry salmon with just salt, or add your favorite teriyaki sauce to boost the flavor. We also like to cook this teriyaki chicken in the air fryer. Throw some veggies into the air fryer to cook at the same time, for a complete meal.
While the air fryer was touted as a replacement for a deep fryer in the beginning, we’ve definitely come around to understanding that its so much more than that. You can cook all kinds of healthy meals in the air fryer – really anything you would have cooked in your oven can be made in the air fryer. Salmon and other healthy fish is a great way to use an air fryer to make super healthy meals.
Ingredients You Need
- Salmon filets – I usually cook 6 oz filets with the skin on or off. You can choose any size you want. They will all cook at about the same rate. For this recipe, I cooked 2 filets, but you can cook as many as can fit into your air fryer.
- Teriyaki sauce – I find teriyaki sauce to be a personal preference, so go with whatever brand you like most. My preferred brand is Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Marinade and Sauce.
- Veggies – It’s optional to add veggies to the basket. If you’re only wanting to make the salmon, that’s fine too. You can either cut up your own veggies or use a pre-packaged bag of stir fry veggies.
- Cooking oil spray – The spray is to keep the salmon from sticking to the bottom of the air fryer basket. You’ll also want to spray the veggies, if you’re adding them.
- Air fryer: I use this 4-quart basket-style air fryer. It’s large enough to fit 2 Chicken Kiev pieces. Give each piece of chicken Kiev enough space in the air fryer basket, so they cook evenly.
- Kitchen tongs: It’s very easy to remove food from your air fryer with kitchen tongs. I use these kitchen tongs that are silicon coated so they don’t scratch the interior.
- Parchment paper: I use this parchment paper rounds that fit perfectly into my air fryer basket. They come in squares and basket too.
- Meat thermometer: The only way to tell if meat is fully cooked to the right temperature is to use a meat thermometer. I use this Instant Read thermometer. It’s so quick to open the basket and check the temp.
What Oil & Oil Sprayer is Best for the Air Fryer?
The biggest issue most air fryer lovers face is finding the right oil and oil sprayer to use on food cooked in the air fryer. A fine mist of oil will help the entire piece of food crisp evenly, so it’s very important.
My personal preference is to use canola oil, extra virgin olive oil, or avocado oil. I use both a refillable spray bottle like the Evo one pictured below and non-propellant extra virgin olive oil, which has no harmful aerosols or chemicals.
How to Make Air Fryer Teriyaki Salmon
Coat the salmon filets with half the teriyaki sauce. Allow them to marinate for 10-15 minutes while the salmon comes up to room temperature.
If you’re cooking the salmon alone, without the veggies, place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the air fryer basket to keep the salmon from sticking. If you don’t have parchment paper, spray the bottom of the basket to keep it from sticking.
If you’re cooking the salmon with veggies, place the veggies in the basket and spray with cooking oil. Season with salt and pepper. Lay the salmon on top of the veggies.
Cook on 375° F for 7-8 minutes, until the internal temperature of the salmon reaches 135° F. If you like your salmon cook firmer in the center, cook to 145° F.
Remove the salmon from the air fryer. Continue cooking vegetables, if necessary, until they reach your desired doneness. This will depend on how you cut the veggies. I usually find that veggies like the ones in my pictures here cook in about the same time as the salmon. If they are cut thicker, you might want to continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
Why Use an Air Fryer
An air fryer is an incredibly easy way to cook just about anything. You place the food in a fryer-style basket and hot air rapidly circulates all around the food, making the food crisp – much like deep-frying, but without the oil. You can cook anything you’d make in the oven.
- I use a Ninja MaxXL air fryer (pictured left). If you don’t have an air fryer yet, check out these options to find one that fits your needs.
- See reviews and prices for air fryers on Amazon.
- Here’s a printable Air Fryer Cooking Times Cheat Sheet to get you started.
- Click to find more recipes to make in your Air Fryer.
- Learn how to make fun things in the air fryer, like potato wedges, pork belly bites, and chicken wings.
Additional Tips & Advice
- Glaze the salmon with the remaining teriyaki sauce, if you prefer. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with the roasted veggies.
- To make sure the salmon cooks evenly, buy filets that are about the same size and thickness. If you have to cook filets that are dissimilar in size, you may need to remove smaller ones before thicker one.
- While you can cook as many filets at one time as will fit in your basket, it’s best not to overcrowd them, so that air can circulate on all sides of each piece. This will result in the best salmon.
Frequently Asked Questions
What temperature should I set my air fryer for salmon?
The instructions for this recipe are to cook on 375° F. This temperature is not too hot for the salmon, but will still cook it through quickly so it’s really ideal for cooking fish.
Should I flip over the salmon halfway through?
Unlike with most food, you don’t need to flip the salmon over during cooking. However, if you are cooking skin-on filets, you will want to start with the salmon skin down and flip it halfway, so the skin side can get crispy before serving it.
What Side Dishes to Serve?
You can serve some really easy side dishes with your main dish cooked in the Air Fryer. Sometimes, you can cook them together in the air fryer to make it even faster.
Some of our favorite side dishes to serve include:
- Air fryer cauliflower
- Air fryer baked potatoes
- Brussels sprouts
- Corn on the cob
- Crispy smashed potatoes
- Cottage fries
Here are 28 more air fryer side dishes to try
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Easy Air Fryer Teriyaki Salmon
- 2 salmon filets appox 6 oz each
- 3 tablespoons (44 ml) teriyaki sauce
- Veggies optional
- Coat the salmon filets with half the teriyaki sauce. Allow them to marinate for 10-15 minutes while the salmon comes up to room temperature.
- If you’re cooking the salmon alone, place a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the air fryer basket to keep the salmon from sticking.
- If you’re cooking the salmon with veggies, place the veggies in the basket and spray with cooking oil. Season with salt and pepper. Lay the salmon on top of the veggies.
- Cook on 375° F for 7-8 minutes, until the internal temperature of the salmon reaches 135° F.
- Remove the salmon from the air fryer. Continue cooking vegetables, if necessary, until they reach your desired doneness.
- Glaze the salmon with more teriyaki sauce if you prefer. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with the roasted veggies.
All air fryers have different wattage and may cook at different rates. You may need to adjust the time or temp for the best results.
Like it? Pin it!
Laura is a passionate foodie and owner of Air Fry Anytime She is dedicated to sharing delicious recipes and helpful tips for using air fryers at home. With years of experience in the kitchen and a love for healthy, flavorful cooking, Laura has become an expert at using air fryers to create amazing meals that are both nutritious and delicious.