Air Fryer Peppers and Onions are seasoned with spices to create a super easy and low-carb lunch or dinner, with red and green bell peppers and chunks of sweet roasted onions. You won’t believe how much flavor develops in the air fryer.
This is one of my absolute favorite side dishes to make in the air fryer. It’s a quick, easy, healthy, and delicious recipe that is the perfect compliment to just about any main dish you’re making. It goes well with pork chops, chicken, and especially steak. Or add sausage to the mix for a full meal.
Elevate your typical peppers and onions with a few spices and toss it all into the air fryer to work its magic. It’s a really hands-off meal that’s easy to make and fun to eat.
Ingredients You Need
- Bell peppers: Based on the colors, their flavors can vary from fruity to citrusy. You can choose any colored bell pepper or a combination. Cut them in equal chunks, and that’s it.
- Onion: Onion has a unique sweet and savory flavor. You can use either red or white onion for this recipe. Cut the onion in chunks as well.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is rich in healthy fats. You can use any other vegetable oil as well.
- Garlic salt: Garlic salt adds a great garlic flavor while seasoning the veggies with salt.
- Onion powder: For a more savory flavor, use onion powder. If you are looking for more depth, add garlic powder as well.
- Herbs: Herbs like rosemary and thyme don’t just add aroma but also a distinct flavor to the dish. You can choose either fresh or dried herbs.
- Salt & pepper: No dish is complete without adding salt and black pepper at the end, to taste.
How to Make Air Fryer Peppers and Onions?
Step 1: Cut up the bell peppers and onions into pieces that are all about the same size. This will ensure they cook at the same rate. Put them all into a large bowl.
Step 2: Add olive oil and the rest of the herbs and seasonings to the bowl. Mix everything together until it’s all well combined and the seasoning is evenly distributed.
Step 3: Pour the mixture into your air fryer basket. It’s okay if the pieces overlap. Generally, you’ll be filling the basket at least halfway up, depending on the size of your basket. It’s okay, because you’ll be stirring it twice during cooking.
Step 4: Cook on 400° F (200° C) for 10 minutes. Shake or stir the contents of the basket twice during cooking so that everything is cooked evenly. Once done, serve!
Can I Use Different Types Of Peppers or Onions?
There are several types of both peppers and onions that you could use in this recipe. The best type depends on your personal preference. Here are some popular options:
- Peppers: Any color bell pepper, poblano peppers, Anaheim peppers
- Onions: Yellow onions, red onions, sweet onions
How To Store Leftovers
To maintain freshness and flavor, store any leftover peppers and onions in an airtight container with a tight-fitting lid to keep the aroma from permeating other things in your refrigerator. If you have a large batch leftover, consider separating them into individual portions before storing them.
You can reheat the peppers and onions in the air fryer basket, just as you did the first time. It will take about 5 minutes on 400° F.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I add sausage to the mix?
Yes of course! There are so many different types of sausage. This recipe can be made with any sausage you like. We typically use Vienna sausage , but we’ve also used Italian sausage and Polish sausage.
Does it matter what peppers I use?
Nope. Just like with the sausage, you can use whatever peppers you want. Bell peppers are the best type because they’re thick and large. Any color is fine. Red peppers have more sweetness. Green is more bitter and savory. You can also use Anaheim or pointed peppers…
Do peppers and onions cook at the same time?
You can cook both peppers and onions at the same time in the air fryer. They both have about the same type of make up and thickness, so they will cook at the same time, evenly.
How to Change It Up A Bit
If you’re looking for different ways to spice this dish up, we’ve got a few great ideas here.
- Add mushrooms and/or potatoes
- Sprinkle on Cajun seasoning or Old Bay Seasoning
- Use Spicy Italian sausage or include a few jalapeno peppers in the mix
What Side Dishes to Serve?
You can serve some really easy side dishes with your main dish cooked in the Air Fryer. Sometimes, you can cook them together in the air fryer to make it even faster.
Some of our favorite side dishes to serve include:
- Air fryer cauliflower
- Air fryer baked potatoes
- Brussels sprouts
- Corn on the cob
- Crispy smashed potatoes
- Cottage fries
Here are 28 more air fryer side dishes to try
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Air Fryer Peppers and Onions
- 2 bell peppers any color, cut in chunks
- 1 large onion cut in chunks
- 1/2 tablespoon (7 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.5 g) garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.5 g) onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.03 g) rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.3 g) thyme
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Put the bell peppers and onions in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with seasonings. Stir to coat.
- Pour the mixture into the air fryer basket. Cook on 400°F (200C) for 10 minutes, shaking the basket or stirring twice during cooking.
All air fryers have different wattage and may cook at different rates. You may need to adjust the time or temp for the best results.
Laura is a passionate foodie and owner of Air Fry Anytime She is dedicated to sharing delicious recipes and helpful tips for using air fryers at home. With years of experience in the kitchen and a love for healthy, flavorful cooking, Laura has become an expert at using air fryers to create amazing meals that are both nutritious and delicious.