These Air Fryer Steak Fries are a healthier way to make your favorite thick fries without the oil of deep frying and they turn out perfectly crispy and crunchy on the outside, while fluffy on the inside.
Steak fries are a great snack to make in the air fryer because they’re thick enough to get crispy on the outside and super fluffy – almost creamy! – inside. The circulating air works its wonders to cook the fries just the way you’d get them at a steakhouse without all the extra oil.
If you like steak fries, this is definitely the way to cook them. They’re better in the air fryer than in the oven, and you don’t have to take all the extra time needed to pre-heat the oven. Serve these on the side of your steak or chicken or just make them for a snack.
The kids can even make them on their own for an after school snack. All you have to do is pour the frozen fries in the air fryer basket and turn it on. Of course, you can also go to the trouble to make your own steak fries from scratch, if you want.
What Steak Fries to Use?
There are so many different brands of frozen steak fries you can buy. Which one you use really depends on your own preferences. I really like Red Robin steak fries. Put a little fry seasoning on those and you’ve got the perfect treat. Ore-Ida Golden Steak Fries are very good as well.
You can also make your own steak fries if you want. See below for more information.
Can I Make My Own Steak Fries?
Yes, of course you can make your own fries from raw potatoes. Since these are pretty thick fries, it’s hard to mess them up. You don’t even need any special tools to cut them. Just a peeler and a sharp knife will do.
The only thing different is that you’ll have to toss them or spray them with oil in order to get them crispy, because they won’t already have oil on them like the store-bought ones do.
How to Cook Steak Fries in the Air Fryer
If you’re cooking these from frozen store-bought, all you have to do is dump the frozen steak fries into the air fryer basket – no oil is needed because the fries were pre-cooked with oil, so they have enough oil to crisp them up nicely.
Cook the fries on 400° F (200° C) for 18-20 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through. I like to cook half a bag at a time so that the fries have room to be in single layer and not all stacked on top of each other. They cook and crisp up better that way.
If after 18 minutes, your fries aren’t cooked to your preferred doneness, put them back on for 2-4 more minutes, or until they’ve reached the crispiness you like.
If the fries aren’t crisping up the way you want, give them a light spray of cooking oil and put them back on for 2-4 more minutes. The oil will help them crisp better.
If you’re making your own fries, first peel, rinse, and cut the fries. Then place the cut fries into a colander and run under cold water for a minute to remove some of the starch.
Pat dry with a paper towel and put them in a bowl. Drizzle over the oil and toss to coat. Then season with salt.
Pour the fries into the air fryer basket and cook at 400° F for 20-25 minutes, shaking the basket once or twice during cooking.
Why Use an Air Fryer
An air fryer is an incredibly easy way to cook just about anything. You place the food in a fryer-style basket and hot air rapidly circulates all around the food, making the food crisp – much like deep-frying, but without the oil. You can cook anything you’d make in the oven.
- I use a Ninja MaxXL air fryer (pictured left). If you don’t have an air fryer yet, check out these options to find one that fits your needs.
- See reviews and prices for air fryers on Amazon.
- Here’s a printable Air Fryer Cooking Times Cheat Sheet to get you started.
- Click to find more recipes to make in your Air Fryer.
- Learn how to make fun things in the air fryer, like potato wedges, pork belly bites, and chicken wings.
We like to serve them with these easy Air Fryer Steak Tips but they go well with just about anything.
What to Serve as a Main Dish
There are so many options for main dishes to serve with this side dish. We like to serve them with these easy Air Fryer Steak Tips. You can make these all in the air fryer or in the oven, if you wish.
- 8 Easy Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- 6 Major Benefits of Using an Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Cajun Chicken Wings
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Air Fryer Steak Fries (Frozen + Homemade)
- 1 bag frozen steak fries
- 4 russet potatoes peeled and cut thick
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (22 ml) olive or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon (6 g) salt
- If making from frozen, pour the half the frozen fries into the air fryer basket. Shake the contents to spread out so the fries are in a single layer. They will cook and crisp up better in a single layer.
- Cook at 400° F for 18-20 minutes, shaking the basket once or twice during cooking.
- Check for desired doneness. If not done cook for 2 minutes at a time until done.
- Repeat with the rest of the bag.
- If making from scratch, place the cut fries into a colander and run under cold water for a minute to remove some of the starch.
- Pat dry with a paper towel and put them in a bowl. Drizzle over the oil and toss to coat. Then season with salt.
- Pour the fries into the air fryer basket and cook at 400° F for 20-25 minutes, shaking the basket once or twice during cooking.
- We recommend only cooking half the bag of steak fries at a time.
- The fries will cook and crisp up better if they are in a single layer.
All air fryers have different wattage and may cook at different rates. You may need to adjust the time or temp for the best results.
🥧 If you’re interested in more great recipes, I share all my favorite recipes over at A Food Lover’s Kitchen, and you’ll find Instant Pot recipes at A Pressure Cooker Kitchen, and cocktails and drinks at Savored Sips. Check it out today!
Pin It For Later
Laura is a passionate foodie and owner of Air Fry Anytime She is dedicated to sharing delicious recipes and helpful tips for using air fryers at home. With years of experience in the kitchen and a love for healthy, flavorful cooking, Laura has become an expert at using air fryers to create amazing meals that are both nutritious and delicious.