S’mores don’t have to be made on the campfire. We’ve made these Easy Air Fryer S’mores in the air fryer with the typical marshmallows, chocolate, and crackers. And they are amazing!
Sure, you usually save s’mores for when you’re camping and everyone is huddled around the campfire roasting their marshmallows to perfection, but who made that rule anyways? We made them in our air fryer and it turns out this is a genius way to enjoy this sweet dessert year round.
You really should try making s’mores with your air fryer. All you need to do is place the crackers, the halved marshmallow, and chocolate in the air fryer, cook them for 5 minutes at 390°F, and voila! You have your s’mores to enjoy.
We love making this s’more with an air fryer because you can prepare them any day, any time, all year round.
Ingredients You Need
- Graham crackers – You can get these crackers from any grocery store. They come in two pieces that can be broken in half to make one smore. Other cookies or sweet crackers can be used, if you can’t find graham crackers, but I haven’t experimented with others.
- Marshmallows – I buy the regular sized white marshmallows. When I lived in the UK, I could only find smaller colored marshmallows which I have to say don’t work very well here, because they fly around too much in the air fryer.
- Chocolate – You will need one chocolate bars to make 2 smores. I use Hershey’s chocolate bars, which are the right thickness and sweetness for a tasty smore.
Why Use an Air Fryer
An air fryer is an incredibly easy way to cook just about anything. You place the food in a fryer-style basket and hot air rapidly circulates all around the food, making the food crisp – much like deep-frying, but without the oil. You can cook anything you’d make in the oven.
- I use a Ninja MaxXL air fryer (pictured left). If you don’t have an air fryer yet, check out these options to find one that fits your needs.
- See reviews and prices for air fryers on Amazon.
- Here’s a printable Air Fryer Cooking Times Cheat Sheet to get you started.
- Click to find more recipes to make in your Air Fryer.
- Learn how to make fun things in the air fryer, like potato wedges, pork belly bites, and chicken wings.
How to Make Air Fryer S’mores
Place 2 halved graham crackers into the air fryer basket. Place the cut marshmallow halves, sticky side down, onto the graham cracker.
Cutting the marshmallow in half helps it stick to the graham crackers, which is really only necessary if your air fryer has the tendency to blow things around. We have one air fryer that does and one that doesn’t. You can give it a try to see if yours blow off the cracker. They don’t if you stick them down.
Air fry the cracker and marshmallow at 390°F for 3 minutes. When it’s browned, add the chocolate square and 2nd graham cracker on the top. The hot marshmallow will start melting the chocolate instantly.
If you want your chocolate really melty, place the chocolate on top of the marshmallow, then top with the graham cracker and air fryer it for an additional minute. We don’t find this extra minute necessary. It tends to make the chocolate too liquidy, and it spurts out the side, making a mess. But everyone has their own preferences!
Tips and Notes
- Place the sticky ends of the cut marshmallows on the crackers. This will hold the crackers and the marshmallows down and prevent them from flying about while air frying.
While classic S’mores are made with the above ingredients, There are some other alternatives you might want to try, which I’ll list below.
- Try using Ritz crackers, chocolate chip cookies, or brownies
- Try a different type of chocolate, like Snickers, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kat or Cadbury.
- Spread on some peanut butter, nutella or jam onto the top of the graham cracker for extra flavors.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does s’mores stand for?
S’mores mean “some more.” This is probably named so because after you eat one, you’ll most likely want another. It first appeared in the 1920s in an American Girl Scout cookbook.
It’s a snack that was well known among Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts during that time. It was originally called the “Graham Cracker Sandwich”.
What are marshmallows made of?
A food engineer at the University of Wisconsin-Madison described marshmallows as a foam stabilized by gelatin. They are made of corn syrup, water, gelatin, sugar, any flavor of choice, and some air. Yes, there’s air, and that’s what makes it feel like foam.
How do you keep s’mores ingredients fresh?
You can keep your s’mores ingredients fresh by adding bread to a package of marshmallows you’ve opened.
Studies have shown that it helps preserve marshmallows by keeping them softer for a long time. You can refrigerate your marshmallows and chocolates. Chocolates should be kept away from sunlight and stored in an airtight container. As for your crackers, you can store them in a cool, dry, and dark part of your cupboard. Unopened, they can last for 2-3 years.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Easy Air Fryer S’mores
- 2 Graham Crackers broken in half
- 2 marshmallows cut in half
- 2 small pieces of chocolate
- Place 2 halved graham crackers into the air fryer basket. Place the marshmallow halves, sticky side down, onto the graham cracker.
- Air fry at 390°F for 3 minutes. When browned, add the chocolate square and 2nd graham cracker on the top. The hot marshmallow will start melting the chocolate instantly.
- If you want your chocolate really melty add the chocolate to the marshmallow and top with graham cracker and air fryer for an additional minute.
All air fryers have different wattage and may cook at different rates. You may need to adjust the time or temp for the best results.
LIKE IT? PIN IT!
Laura is a passionate foodie and owner of Air Fry Anytime She is dedicated to sharing delicious recipes and helpful tips for using air fryers at home. With years of experience in the kitchen and a love for healthy, flavorful cooking, Laura has become an expert at using air fryers to create amazing meals that are both nutritious and delicious.