Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Kiev is a crunchy and creamy stuffed chicken dish that you just need to remove from the box and put directly into the air fryer. It’s ready in under 20 minutes.
» You might also like Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp.
What is Chicken Kiev?
Chicken Kiev is originally a Russian dish that was perfected in the 19th century by a Ukrainian chef, which is how it got the name Kiev (after the Ukrainian city).
Chicken Kiev is a special occasion dish where chicken breasts are filled with cold butter (often herb butter) and covered in breadcrumbs. The butter inside becomes creamy and gives each bite of chicken a wonderful juiciness that is highlighted by its crispy exterior.
Making Chicken Kiev yourself at home can definitely be done, but it’s an involved process that can be difficult to master. That’s why we tend to buy frozen Chicken Kiev, which tastes just as amazing and requires no work.
When you cook frozen Chicken Kiev in the air fryer, the chicken gets crispy and juicy without adding any oil. Making it in the air fryer makes it taste like it was made from scratch. Pair it with a salad or a potato dish to make a full meal.
Ingredients You Need
- Chicken Kiev: any brand of frozen chicken Kiev works, so use your favorite brand.
You can also try your hand at making your own Chicken Kiev at home. We don’t have a recipe for it, but you can try this one from RecipeTin Eats. If making it at home, you’ll need chicken breast, butter, herbs like parsley, salt, breadcrumbs, egg, and flour.
- Air fryer: I use this 4-quart basket-style air fryer. It’s large enough to fit a meal for 4-6. But some things need more space in the air fryer basket, so they cook evenly.
- Kitchen tongs: It’s very easy to remove food from your air fryer with kitchen tongs. I use these kitchen tongs that are silicon coated so they don’t scratch the interior.
- Meat thermometer: The only way to tell if meat is fully cooked to the right temperature is to use a meat thermometer. I use this Instant Read thermometer. It’s so quick to open the basket and check the temp.
Why Use an Air Fryer
An air fryer is an incredibly easy way to cook just about anything. You place the food in a fryer-style basket and hot air rapidly circulates all around the food, making the food crisp – much like deep-frying, but without the oil. You can cook anything you’d make in the oven.
How to Make Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Kiev
Place the frozen Chicken Kievs in the air fryer basket. There’s no need to thaw them or do anything extra to them. Just stick them directly into the air fryer. It’s also not necessary to spray them with cooking oil, because they are already coated with oil.
Cook at 380° F for 15-18 minutes, flipping over halfway through cooking. They are done when the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165° F. The exact cooking time will vary based on the thickness of the chicken and your air fryer model. It’s always best to use a meat thermometer to determine doneness.
Be careful not to overcook the chicken, because it will begin to dry out and the butter will dissipate. You want to serve it as soon as you remove it from the basket.
Tips & Suggestions
- Don’t thaw the frozen Chicken Kiev before adding it into the air fryer. Simply preheat the air fryer before cooking the frozen chicken.
- Frozen Chicken Kiev is still raw chicken, so it’s best to use a meat thermometer to read the chicken’s internal temperature. The chicken should reach a temperature of 165°F.
- Keep an eye on the Chicken Kiev as cooking times can differ based on the thickness of the chicken breast, or your brand of air fryer.
Questions About the Recipe
Why is there no oil in the recipe?
Most foods that you cook in the air fryer need a bit of spray oil to prevent any sticking, but frozen Chicken Kiev doesn’t need this. Most brands of frozen Chicken Kiev have oil in the breading, so they don’t need extra oil when cooking. They should cook without issue in the air fryer.
What can I add to the Chicken Kiev?
If you want to spice up the frozen Chicken Kiev, there are a couple things to add on top of your chicken. The best topping is some chopped parsley as it adds a nice refreshing flavor to the Chicken Kiev. Some other toppings you can add to the chicken are crushed red pepper flakes or a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. These will add a bit of heat and a acidity to the chicken, but experiment with other seasonings to see what you like best.
Storage & Reheating Suggestions
Air fryer frozen Chicken Kiev is best fresh, but you can store leftovers. Once they have cooled to room temperature, keep the chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days. Reheat the leftovers in the air fryer until it has warmed through (about 5 minutes).
What Side Dishes to Serve?
There are some really easy side dishes you can serve with your main dish cooked in the Air Fryer. In some cases, you can even cook them together in the air fryer to make it even faster.
Some of our favorite side dishes to serve include air fryer cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and corn on the cob. We love these crispy smashed potatoes and cottage fries because they go with just about anything. Other quick options are to make a side garden salad or some macaroni and cheese.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Kiev
- 2 store-bought frozen Chicken Kievs
- Place the frozen Chicken Kievs in the air fryer basket.
- Cook at 380° F for 15-18 minutes, flipping over halfway through cooking, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165° F. The exact cooking time will vary based on the thickness of the chicken and your air fryer, so always use a meat thermometer to determine doneness.
All air fryers have different wattage and may cook at different rates. You may need to adjust the time or temp for the best results.
🥧 If you’re interested in more great recipes, I share all my favorite recipes over at A Food Lover’s Kitchen, and you’ll find Instant Pot recipes at A Pressure Cooker Kitchen, and cocktails and drinks at Savored Sips. Check it out today!
Pin it for later
Angie lives in a small town in Oregon where she spends her time reading, creating recipes, and spending time with her two kids.