These easy air fryer Pasta Chips are made with bowtie pasta, a bit of olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and seasonings. They’re a fun alternative to chips that can be served as a snack or appetizer.
» You might also like Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips and Easy Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks.
» Did you know that you Can You Make Popcorn in the Air Fryer?
Have you seen the viral Tik Tok video that involves frying pasta chips to make a crunchy, unique snack? You can make them quickly in the air fryer and add any flavoring or seasoning you like.
If I’m pressed for an answer to whether these are really addictive or really gimmicky, I’d probably lean toward gimmicky. They’re fun to make a few times and try with different sauces and flavorings, but they aren’t going to be my new favorite snack.
If you’re wondering whether they’re worth it to make, I’d say give the a try and see if you like them. Then you can experiment with different types.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Dried farfalle pasta – I like bowtie pasta for these because they’re cute, but you can use rigatoni, ziti, or another tube shaped pasta.
- Extra Virgin olive oil or melted butter – If you like the flavor of one over the other, you can go with that. I think they both add great flavor.
- Grated parmesan cheese – Dust on the cheese for a huge flavor boost.
- Garlic salt and Italian seasoning – These are the two seasonings I use the most for these pasta chips, but you can use anything you like really – seasoned salt, oregano, paprika, cumin, etc.
How to Make Air Fryer Pasta Chips
Step 1: Boil a pot of salted water in a pot on the stovetop. Cook farfalle until tender, a little more cooked than al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta and let it sit for 5 minutes to cool and dry.
Step 2: Transfer pasta to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil or melted butter. Sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning. Stir to coat the pieces evenly.
Step 3: Spread the pasta out in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes on 400°F (200°C). Flip over and continue cooking for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until crispy and golden. Allow to cool before serving.
You really want to avoid over cooking the pasta, as it can go from perfectly crispy to overly crunchy in just a few minutes. Remove the chips as soon as they start to get golden in color. They will continue to deepen in color for a minute or two after taking them out.
Directions for Oven Cooking
- Preheat your oven to 375°F
- Spread the cooked pasta in a single layer
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until they’re golden brown
Variations & Substitutions to Try
The top questions I get about this recipe are whether you can use different types of pasta and whether you can adjust the seasonings. The answer to both is YES!
I like bowtie pasta for these because they’re cute, but you can use rigatoni, ziti, rotini, fusilli, or another tube shaped pasta. You just wouldn’t want to use something like fettuccini.
You can also change the flavors to suit your preference. You don’t have to use the Parmesan cheese. You can sprinkle on seasoned salt, or lemon pepper, or Ranch powder or cumin and chili powder. Whatever you like.
Every fun snack needs a dipping sauce, and these are no different. I’d say my preferred sauce is marinara, try this quick tomato sauce recipe. It just feels right. You could also dip them in BBQ sauce, or Ranch dressing, or even some Sriracha mayo.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it with your friends on social media. For more great recipes, follow us on Pinterest and Facebook, where we share our recipes daily.
Easy Air Fryer Pasta Chips
- 1 cup dried farfalle pasta
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil or melted butter
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Boil a pot of salted water in a pot on the stovetop. Cook farfalle until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer pasta to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil or melted butter. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning. Stir to coat the pieces evenly.
- Spread the pasta out in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 minutes on 400°F (200°C). Flip over and continue cooking for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until crispy and golden. Allow to cool before serving.
All air fryers have different wattage and may cook at different rates. You may need to adjust the time or temp for the best results.
🥧 If you’re interested in more great recipes, I share all my favorite recipes over at A Food Lover’s Kitchen, and you’ll find Instant Pot recipes at A Pressure Cooker Kitchen, and cocktails and drinks at Savored Sips. Check it out today!
Like it? Pin it!
Laura spends a lot of her time cooking and creating recipes to share. She loves traveling and learning about new foods around the world to bring into her own recipes at home.