Air Fryer Meatballs are a simple easy to make dish with a combination of lean ground beef and/or pork, along with some aromatic herbs and spices.
» You might also like these Delicious Air Fryer Baked Potatoes.
Air Fryer Meatballs are very versatile, while they are excellent on their own, you can also incorporate them into various dishes. Serve them with your favorite marinara sauce and pasta for a classic spaghetti and meatballs meal. Alternatively, use them in sandwiches, wraps, or sliders for a flavorful twist.
One of the advantages of using an air fryer is the convenience it offers. Preheating the air fryer takes just a few minutes, and the cooking time for the meatballs is relatively short compared to traditional methods. This means you can have a batch of delicious meatballs ready in no time, making it a perfect option for busy weeknight dinners.
- 2 independent XL air fryer baskets
- Integrated Foodi® Smart Thermometer
- Cook 2 foods 2 ways that finish at the same time
- Lean ground beef and/or pork – I prefer to use a 95/5 ground beef with ground pork mixed in for the best flavor. Lean ground turkey or chicken can be used as a substitution for a lighter option.
- Seasoned Bread Crumbs – If you don’t have seasoned bread crumbs, you can make your own by combining plain bread crumbs with dried herbs like oregano, basil, or parsley.
- Egg – the egg acts as a binder to hold together the meatballs, but you can leave it out if you’re sensitive to egg.
- Grated Parmesan cheese – Grate your own or use a pre-grated or shaved parmesan.
- Seasonings: Italian seasoning, garlic, onion powder, salt & ground black pepper
How to Make Air Fryer Meatballs
Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix it all together until well combined. I like to use my hands to do the mixing. It’s easier than with a spatula.
Form 12 equal-sized meatballs from the mixture.
Place the meatballs, spaced so they aren’t touching each other, if possible, in the air fryer basket.
Cook on 380° F for 8 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking to ensure even browning.
Transfer the meatballs to a plate and let them rest for 5 minutes before serving. You can serve them on their own, on top of mashed potatoes with some gravy, or with marinara sauce in a meatball sandwich. So many possibilities.
Additional Helpful Tips
- If the meatball mixture feels too wet, add more bread crumbs to help bind it together.
- Use a tablespoon or a small cookie scoop to measure the mixture for evenly-sized meatballs.
- Avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket to allow proper air circulation. Cook the meatballs in batches if necessary.
- Make a double batch of meatballs and freeze them in individual portions for quick and convenient meals later on.
Refrigerator: Place the cooked meatballs in an airtight container or ziplock bag and store them in the refrigerator. They can be kept for up to 3-4 days.
Freezer: Place the meatballs in an airtight container or ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months. If you plan to store the meatballs for an extended period, consider using airtight freezer-safe containers or double wrapping them in plastic wrap and aluminum foil for extra protection.
Why Use an Air Fryer
An air fryer is an incredibly easy way to cook just about anything. You place the food in a fryer-style basket and hot air rapidly circulates all around the food, making the food crisp – much like deep-frying, but without the oil. You can cook anything you’d make in the oven.
- I use a Ninja MaxXL air fryer (pictured left). If you don’t have an air fryer yet, check out these options to find one that fits your needs.
- See reviews and prices for air fryers on Amazon.
- Here’s a printable Air Fryer Cooking Times Cheat Sheet to get you started.
- Click to find more recipes to make in your Air Fryer.
- Learn how to make fun things in the air fryer, like potato wedges, pork belly bites, and chicken wings.
Air Fryer: The air fryer is a great option for reheating meatballs as it helps retain their crispy texture. Preheat the air fryer to 375°F and place the meatballs in a single layer, and cook for 5-8 minutes.
Oven: Preheat the oven to 350°F and arrange the meatballs on a baking sheet, and cover them with foil to prevent drying. Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make the meatball mixture ahead of time and refrigerate it?
Yes, you can prepare the meatball mixture ahead of time and refrigerate it for a few hours or overnight. Just make sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container.
Can I use gluten-free breadcrumbs for a gluten-free version?
You can use gluten-free breadcrumbs or even crushed gluten-free crackers as a substitute for traditional breadcrumbs. Just make sure they are finely ground for better binding.
Can I make mini-meatballs instead of regular-sized ones?
Absolutely! Adjust the cooking time accordingly when making smaller meatballs as they will cook faster. Keep an eye on them to avoid overcooking.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Air Fryer Meatballs
- 1/2 pound (227 g) lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound (227 g) lean ground pork
- 1/4 cup (30 g) seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons (10 g) parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon (5 g) Italian seasoning
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup (40 g) onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.5 g) ground black pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix until evenly combined.
- Form 12 equal-sized meatballs.
- Place the meatballs, spaced so they aren’t touching, in the air fryer basket.
- Cook on 380° F for 8 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking to ensure even browning.
- Transfer meatballs to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
All air fryers have different wattage and may cook at different rates. You may need to adjust the time or temp for the best results.
Laura is a passionate foodie and owner of Air Fry Anytime She is dedicated to sharing delicious recipes and helpful tips for using air fryers at home. With years of experience in the kitchen and a love for healthy, flavorful cooking, Laura has become an expert at using air fryers to create amazing meals that are both nutritious and delicious.