If you’ve never made frozen burgers in the air fryer, you’re missing out on the single easiest meal you can make with your favorite new kitchen appliance. Give it a try and you’ll see how well the juices get locked into the burger, just the way it was meant to be.
Burgers are one of the things we make the most in our air fryer. It’s a great alternative to frying or grilling burgers, which tends to make a much bigger mess than necessary.
Ingredients You Need
- Frozen beef burger patties – Use any brand you prefer or make your own and freeze them for later.
- Butter – Salted and melted.
- Salt and pepper – for seasoning the patty
- Burger accoutrement: Burger buns, pickles, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard, etc.
How to Make Frozen Burgers in the Air Fryer
Set your frozen burger patties into the air fryer basket. Definitely don’t stack them on top of each other. Try not to overlap them either, however it’s okay if they do overlap a bit on the center. They’ll shrink as they cook and likely lay flat.
Cook them for 5 minutes on 375°F. Then open up the basket and baste the burgers on both sides with the butter. Believe me, this is the step that makes the burgers really sing.
Continue cooking on the other side for 4-5 more minutes. Near the end of cooking you’ll want to check the internal temperature of the meat with a digital thermometer. It should be at least 145° F for medium and 160° F for well done. The FDA recommends cooking commercial beef to 160 or 165° F.
If you wish to add cheese, be aware that it can be pushed off the burger while cooking in the air fryer due to the forced circulating air. For this reason, I only add the cheese during the last 20 seconds of cooking.
You can give it a try, if you want. I usually find the cheese sitting in a pool at the bottom of the fryer, so it’s just a better idea to leave off the cheese, or melt it in the microwave and pour it over the burgers.
You can also toast the buns in the air fryer if you want. I butter them lightly and then set them facing up in the tray and put them in for 3-4 minutes on 375° F.
Now you can assemble your burgers with whatever condiments and extras you like.
If you liked these burgers you might try these air fryer brats. They cook up quick and easy while staying nice and juicy. Chicken patties are another great lunch to cook up in the air fryer. From frozen or homemade they are cooked to perfection.
- Not all air fryers cook the same way. For this reason, your burgers might cook faster or take a bit longer. You can check the internal temperature of the patties as they near completion to make sure they reach your desired doneness. I aim for 145° F for medium rare, which takes about 8-9 minutes. You can continue cooking to 160° F for well done.
- The burgers will cook slower from frozen than when making fresh burgers. If you’re cooking non-frozen patties, subtract two minutes from the cook time.
- Go for the best quality frozen burger patties you can find. That’s what’s going to have the biggest impact on the flavor and texture of your burgers.
- Be careful when adding cheese to the burgers in the air fryer. It often will just get blown off into the tray. If you do add cheese, tack it on with a toothpick or two, or weight it down with something like an onion ring.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I stack burger patties in the air fryer?
It’s best to cook patties in a single layer in the air fryer, preferably without the edges touching. This is what allows the air to circulate freely around all sides of the patty and how it’s able to get nice a crisp on the outside without overcooking.
How long do you cook frozen burgers in an air fryer?
All frozen patties vary in size, so there might be some fluctuation in the amount of time needed to cook frozen burgers in the air fryer. As a general rule, an average sized patty will take about 10 minutes to cook.
Do I need to preheat the air fryer?
No, there’s no need to preheat the air fryer when cooking frozen patties. If your air fryer manual states that it must be preheated, always follow the instructions instead.
- 8 Easy Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- 6 Major Benefits of Using an Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Cajun Chicken Wings
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Frozen Burgers in the Air Fryer
- 4 frozen burger patties
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) salted butter melted
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- Buns toppings, condiments, etc.
- Place the frozen patties in the air fryer basket, trying not to overlap.
- Cook at 375°F for 5 minutes, then open the basket and baste with butter, flip the burgers over and baste the other side. Continue cooking for 4-6 more minutes, until the internal temperature reads 145°F for medium up to 160°F for well done.
- Remove from the air fryer and build your burger.
All air fryers have different wattage and may cook at different rates. You may need to adjust the time or temp for the best results.
Pin it for later!
Laura is a passionate foodie and owner of Air Fry Anytime She is dedicated to sharing delicious recipes and helpful tips for using air fryers at home. With years of experience in the kitchen and a love for healthy, flavorful cooking, Laura has become an expert at using air fryers to create amazing meals that are both nutritious and delicious.