These Air Fryer Frozen French Fries are a healthier way to make fries without the oil of deep frying and they turn out perfectly crispy and crunchy, just like your favorite fast food fries.
Just when you thought making frozen French fries couldn’t get any easier, along comes the air fryer and it’s now easier than ever.
If you’ve bought a bag of frozen French fries and need to know how to cook them in the air fryer, this recipe will make that really simple for you. For a slight twist on fries, but just as quick, try air fryer gnocchi.
There’s no easier way to make Frozen French Fries than in the air fryer.
What French Fries to Use?
There are so many different brands of frozen French fries you can buy. Which one you use really depends on your own preferences. We use Ore Ida extra crispy fast food fries most often. Their golden fries are very good as well.
Other brands we really like are Alexia House Cut Fries and Market Pantry Crispy Shoestring Fries. McCain fast food fries are also quite good.
Can I Make My Own Fries?
Yes, of course you can make your own fries from raw potatoes. The best way to get them uniform is to use a French fry cutter, like this one. This professional grade French fry cutter gives you the type of fry you would buy in a bag. They will cook at about the same rate as frozen fries.
The only thing different is that you’ll have to spray them with oil in order to get them crispy, because they won’t already have oil on them like the store-bought ones do.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Frozen French fries – We use the Ore Ida brand frozen fries. You can use your favorite, though thicker fries will require more time to cook.
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Dipping sauce – Optional
- Air fryer: I use this 4-quart basket-style air fryer. It’s large enough to fit a meal for 4-6. But some things need more space in the air fryer basket, so they cook evenly.
- Kitchen tongs: It’s very easy to remove food from your air fryer with kitchen tongs. I use these kitchen tongs that are silicon coated so they don’t scratch the interior.
How to Cook Frozen French Fries in the Air Fryer
All you have to do is dump the frozen fries into the air fryer basket – no oil is needed because the fries were pre-cooked with oil, so they have enough oil to crisp them up nicely.
If you have a simple basket air fryer, you can just put as many fries into the basket as you want to cook. It’s totally fine if they’re piled up on top of each other. You’ll give the basket a big shake halfway through cooking, which will break them up and allow them to cook evenly.
However, if you have a tray, like the one below, for your air fryer, you can spread them out on the racks to get a more even cooking.
Cook the fries on 400° F (200° C) for 15 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through. You can shake the basket a couple of times during cooking, if you’ve really piled them up in there. For my 5-quart air fryer, if I cook a whole bag of fries at the same time, I need to shake them around a couple of times so all the pieces get cooked.
If after 15 minutes, your fries aren’t cooked to your preferred doneness, put them back on for 2-4 more minutes, or until they’ve reached the crispiness you like.
If the fries aren’t crisping up the way you want, give them a light spray of cooking oil and put them back on for 2-4 more minutes. The oil will help them crisp better.
Sauces To Serve With French Fries
The perfect dipping sauce can elevate the humble French fry to a whole new level of deliciousness. So when you’re enjoying a plate of fries, consider experimenting with different sauces to find your new favorite.
- Ketchup or Fry Sauce, a mixture of ketchup, mayonnaise, and relish.
- Homemade Basil Aioli
- Irresistible Smoky Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- Honey Mustard Dressing
- Yum Yum Sauce
What to Serve with This Dish
There are so many options for main dishes to serve with this dish. You can make these all in the air fryer or in the oven, if you wish.
Why Use an Air Fryer
An air fryer is an incredibly easy way to cook just about anything. You place the food in a fryer-style basket and hot air rapidly circulates all around the food, making the food crisp – much like deep-frying, but without the oil. You can cook anything you’d make in the oven.
- I use a Ninja MaxXL air fryer (pictured left). If you don’t have an air fryer yet, check out these options to find one that fits your needs.
- See reviews and prices for air fryers on Amazon.
- Here’s a printable Air Fryer Cooking Times Cheat Sheet to get you started.
- Click to find more recipes to make in your Air Fryer.
- Learn how to make fun things in the air fryer, like potato wedges, pork belly bites, and chicken wings.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long should you air fryer frozen French fries?
This recipe is for restaurant style fries which is skinny and long. They cook at 400° F for 15 minutes. If you are cooking thicker fries you will have to add more time.
Why are my frozen French fries not crispy in the air fryer?
One of the main reasons that French fries don’t crisp up correctly in the air fryer is that the basket is too full. If you have to cook the fries in multiple batches. This will ensure that the air can circulate freely around each fry making them crispy.
Additionally, bigger, thicker fries will take longer to cook. It is always good to shake the basket at least once while cooking. If the fries don’t look crisp enough add a couple of minutes and then check again.
What are the best frozen French fries to cook in an air fryer?
There are so many different brands of frozen French fries you can buy. Which one you use really depends on your own preference. Ore Ida extra crispy fast food fries or golden fries are very good as well. Other brands we really like are Alexia House Cut Fries and Market Pantry Crispy Shoestring Fries. McCain fast food fries are also quite good.
- 8 Easy Air Fryer Recipes to Try
- 6 Major Benefits of Using an Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Cajun Chicken Wings
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- 1 pound frozen French fries fast food style
- Salt & ground black pepper to taste
- Spray the basket with cooking oil.
- Put the French fries in the basket and cook on 400° F (200° C) for 15 minutes, shaking the basket once or twice during cooking. If the fries are not as crispy as you like after 15 minutes, continue cooking in 2 minute increments until your preferred degree of crispiness.
- Thicker fries, like steak fries, will take 20 minutes, while thinner fries, like shoestring, might only take 10 minutes.
- There’s no need to spray the fries with extra oil.
- You can cook up to a 2-lb bag of fries in a 6 quart air fryer. It will take 5-8 minutes longer to cook more fries.
All air fryers have different wattage and may cook at different rates. You may need to adjust the time or temp for the best results.
Pin It For Later
Laura is a passionate foodie and owner of Air Fry Anytime She is dedicated to sharing delicious recipes and helpful tips for using air fryers at home. With years of experience in the kitchen and a love for healthy, flavorful cooking, Laura has become an expert at using air fryers to create amazing meals that are both nutritious and delicious.